What if we did nothing and let the Covid-19 (the corona virus) run it’s course? I know that this idea is highly controversial, but I believe fear and anxiety are the major problems we face in this world-wide pandemic,, and not Covid-19 itself.
Each year, according to the US Centers for Disease Control, the leading number of deaths in the US in 2017 are as follows:
- Heart disease: 647,457
- Cancer: 599,108
- Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
- Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
- Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
- Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
- Diabetes: 83,564
- Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672
- Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,633
- Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173
More recently, the projected number of deaths from Covid-19 for this year range between 88,000 to 293,000, compared to 34,200 deaths from the flu in 2018, and 675,000 from the last great pandemic of the H1N1 flu pandemic in 1918. This would put the number of deaths from Covid-19 as the 3rd possible leading cause of death, well below that of heart disease and cancer.
So, what would happen if we let the Covid-19 virus run its normal course? In my opinion, we would avoid a possible world-wide financial collapse and shorten the time, money and troubles we now face. Fear and Anxiety are our worst enemy in this situation.